I am an experienced school governor with responsibilities dating back to 2004 when I was a governor at Sandford Primary School. During my time as a governor I have served on many committees, including Chair of Curriculum and Personnel, Finance and Premises and with particular responsibility for Assessment and Tracking, Governor Forum and MFL. I have also been involved as Safeguarding and SEN governor. I have enjoyed the role of Vice Chair of Governors and since 2007, Chair of Governors. With the federation of Sandford with Winscombe Primary School in January 2013, I was elected Chair of Governors of the Strawberry Line Federation. This has undoubtedly been one of my most challenging but nonetheless rewarding positions.
I have two children, both of whom attended Sandford Primary before moviing on to the local secondary school. I live nearby and our family business is located in this community.
My impact on the Federation:
- As Chair of Governors, I am closely involved with both schools and ensure regular meetings with the Executive Headteacher to promote effective communication and monitoring. Indeed, I have maintained a very close working relationship with the current headteacher since her appointment in January 2010.
- As Chair of Governors I attend all committee meetings as well as chairing the full governing body meetings. Further, I visit both schools weekly to meet with staff, children and parents. I make myself accessible and available to all stakeholders to support the smooth running of the schools and ensure the continued delivery of high quality education for our children.
- As Chair of Governors I was heavily involved with the development of the Federation and its accompanying consultation process over a period of eighteen months.
- Since my election as Chair of Governors for the Federation, I have attended all necessary meetings to ensure that both schools meet statutory requirements.
- I have experienced two Ofsted inspections and on Subject Survey Inspection. During the most recent inspection (Sandford Primary) in which the school was rated 'outstanding' in all aspects, the governors were highly commended for their role in the leadership of the school.
- Given my background, I have applied my extensive experience and knowledge of governing and statutory matters at both schools. Since the establishment of the Federation I have ensured that the governors and I understand the strengths and weaknesses of the schools and work with and challenge the Executive Headteacher and staff to raise standards in all areas.